project and leader
Fusion of advanced and traditional
Cross-Organization and Fusion of Materials Research at Tohoku University
Projects and Leaders
By encouraging collaboration between the cross-departmental Functional Materials Wing and Structural Materials Wing, and in cross-fields projects, we seek to take advantage of the comprehensive research strengths of Tohoku University and further enhance research and development.
Functional Materials Wing
A research pipeline strategy is concentrating and centralizing powerful existing research resources, as we wield the comprehensive research strength across the whole of Tohoku University to develop ideal energy materials going beyond traditional performance limits, and to design the necessary energy systems. By doing so, and through industry-academia collaboration and regional cooperation, we are aiming to realize an energy self-sufficient model city by 2030.
Structural Materials Wing
By creating a base for studies on atomic-level design fully guaranteed by science, multi-scale bulk structures, and structure control, we seek to accelerate research in these areas. Then by creating ultra-strong, ultra-light, and low-cost innovative structural materials, we will contribute to the realization of safe and robust urban spaces and environmentally friendly transportation and industrial equipment by 2030.
Through involvement of the above two wings in the following four cross-disciplinary projects, we seek to take advantage of the comprehensive research strengths of Tohoku University and further enhance research and development.
- A mathematics, mathematical science, and computational science alliance supporting the top-level core research cluster
- Research acceleration and a measurement and evaluation network transcending organizations and occupational fields, supporting formation of the Core Research Cluster for Materials Science
- Cross-organizational Evaluation and Sensing network that supports the establishment of the top-level Core Research Cluster for Materials Science
- Formation of a global human resources development cluster
Project and Leader
Tohoku University Materials Research
- Advanced Institute for Materials Research
- Institute for Materials Research
- Institute of Multidisciplinary Research for Advanced Materials
- Research Institute of Electrical Communication